Community Legal Education
COMMUNITY LEGAL EDUCATION
Community Legal Education activities include:
- The provision of information and educational programs to inform, advance and protect the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; and
- Community-based consultation to identify and develop localized community legal education programs.
Law Reform and Policy Development
Law reform includes:
- A key focus upon Prevention and Early Intervention activities (those aimed at diverting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples away from the criminal justice system). To that end, Justice Reinvestment initiatives are a priority.
- Supporting the continued improvement and accessibility and equity of legal services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- Law reform initiatives that are both proactive and scrutinize existing policies and practices, particularly in relation to incarceration, policing, family violence and the needs of youth that impact adversely and disproportionately on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples; and
- Engaging with key stakeholders to influence positive change and deliver innovative, professional and culturally competent legal services.